Thursday, November 23, 2023

  

The Wild Bunch

August 2

My dad was born in the 1950s. His grandpa was with his second wife and a whole batch of other kids. These aunts and uncles were around my dad's age. They were my dad's childhood/sometimes adulthood best friends. They rambled all over South Alabama, got into minor trouble, smoked cigarettes, flirted with pretty girls, and did all the things that southern boys do.

The uncles all died before my dad. The last one was about a month before my dad passed. And I think that when Wallace "Hambone" died my dad was ready to go. He wanted to see my Mama, his sister, his mama, etc.

But I think he wanted to meet up with his uncles and reminisce about all the good times, the struggles, and the places they used to hang out. I think they are all together. They are watching over the enormous dynasty they created. They are wreaking havoc and telling tall tales.  I don't think the hereafter is ready for the Wild Bunch to be together again.

So, if hear the whisper of voices laughing, I know the boys are up to something and want to share.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment